tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson Yip" <sysad...@igicom.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 Suse 7.2 Can't Get It To Work In Stand Alone Mode
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:45:25 GMT
I wouldn't put JAVA_HOME, TOMCAT_HOME, & CATALINA_HOME paths into
/etc/profile.  Put it in the catalina.sh script and when it starts up it
will load up the paths.  I had a hard time before of getting the path to
work but this is the only solution that worked.  Make sure you download
the binary version and not the version that needs to be compiled.

-nelson

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve [mailto:stevesusenet@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 5:33 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 4.0.1 Suse 7.2 Can't Get It To Work In Stand Alone
Mode

Hi Nelson.

I did download & install the jdk 1.3.1_02, tomcat 4.0.1

I put my JAVA_HOME, TOMCAT_HOME, & CATALINA_HOME paths into /etc/profile
( so I could use these things any where ).

The paths are set and tomcat is reporting the correct paths back to me
before it sits there and does nothing.

Nelson Yip wrote:

 > FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS AND IT SHOULD WORK.
 > BTW, I INSTALLED TOMCAT ON REDHAT 7.2.
 >
 > 1.  Download both attached file "j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin" and
 > "jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz"
 > 2.  Ftp the files over to your home directory.
 > 3.  Gunzip the file "gunzip jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz" after that
you
 > should see a file name "jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar"
 > 4.  Extract the tar file "tar -xvf jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar" you
should
 > get a folder called "jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1"
 > 5.  This is a binary file and we no compiling is needed.
 > 6.  The folder is currently in your home directory and all you need
 > do is move it over to the path you want Tomcat to be located.  "mv
 > jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1 /usr/local/bin"
 > 7.  You cannot run Tomcat without installing the java jdk pack.
 > 8.  Next is to install j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin
 > 9.  Just type the command "./j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin"
 > 10.  Follow the on screen instruction for the install and you should
 > have specify the path to be /usr/local/bin
 > 11.  The next thing is to set your environment so it will recognized
 > JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME.
 > 12.  I am running the bash shell, so you must edit your
".bash_profile",
 > the file is hidden and is located in your home directory.
 > 13.  Make sure your .bash_profile contains the following:
 > 	# .bash_profile
 >
 > 	# Get the aliases and functions
 > 	if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
 > 	        . ~/.bashrc
 > 	fi
 >
 > 	# User specific environment and startup programs
 >
 > 	PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
 > 	BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
 > 	JAVA_HOME=$JAVA_HOME/usr/local/bin/jdk1.3.1_02
 > 	TOMCAT_HOME=$TOMCAT_HOME/usr/local/bin/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1
 >
 > 	export TOMCAT_HOME JAVA_HOME BASH_ENV PATH
 > 	unset USERNAME
 > 14.  The final step is to reboot the Linux box by typing "shutdown -r
 > now"
 > 15.  You can startup Tomcat by type "$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh
start"
 > 16.  To check if Tomcat is working type this in your browser
 > "http://www.domain.com:8080", make sure you use port 8080.
 > 17.  Done.
Alone
 > Mode
 >
 > I have Suse 7.2 with jdk 1.4beta-3 fresh install and It came right
up. I

 > never use the distro jdk, I've been burnt too many times.
 >
 > Todd Wright
 >
 > At 04:14 PM 1/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
 >
 >>Do you have jdk installed on your system?
 >>Also did u setup your JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME?
 >>
 >>-n

Mode

 >>Hi;
 >>
 >>I've been trying to install and use Tomcat 4.0.1 in stand alone mode
on
 >>Suse 7.2 linux.
 >>
 >>I haven't been able to get my tomcat files to come up in my browser(
 >>Netscape 6.2.1 ) using http://localhost:8080/
 >>
 >>I also haven't gotten any error messages that might give me a clue
:).

 >>I don't have a web server or any kind of networking software running
on
 >>my box.
 >>
 >>These are the messages I got from std out when I ran startup.sh:

 >>Using CLASSPATH:
 >>/usr/local/Tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/JDK/lib/tools.jar
 >>Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/Tomcat
 >>Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/Tomcat
 >>Using JAVA_HOME:     /usr/local/JDK
 >>

 >>These are the messages I got when running shutdown.sh:

 >>steves linux> /usr/local/Tomcat/bin/catalina.sh  line 234: 1265
Segment