tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson Yip" <sysad...@igicom.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.0.1 Suse 7.2 Can't Get It To Work In Stand Alone Mode
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:47:43 GMT
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS AND IT SHOULD WORK.
BTW, I INSTALLED TOMCAT ON REDHAT 7.2.

1.  Download both attached file "j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin" and
"jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz"
2.  Ftp the files over to your home directory.
3.  Gunzip the file "gunzip jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar.gz" after that you
should see a file name "jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar"
4.  Extract the tar file "tar -xvf jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1.tar" you should
get a folder called "jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1"
5.  This is a binary file and we no compiling is needed.
6.  The folder is currently in your home directory and all you need to
do is move it over to the path you want Tomcat to be located.  "mv
jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1 /usr/local/bin"
7.  You cannot run Tomcat without installing the java jdk pack.
8.  Next is to install j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin
9.  Just type the command "./j2sdk-1_3_1_02-linux-i386.bin"
10.  Follow the on screen instruction for the install and you should
have specify the path to be /usr/local/bin
11.  The next thing is to set your environment so it will recognized
JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME.
12.  I am running the bash shell, so you must edit your ".bash_profile",
the file is hidden and is located in your home directory.
13.  Make sure your .bash_profile contains the following:
	# .bash_profile

	# Get the aliases and functions
	if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
	        . ~/.bashrc
	fi

	# User specific environment and startup programs

	PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
	BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
	JAVA_HOME=$JAVA_HOME/usr/local/bin/jdk1.3.1_02
	TOMCAT_HOME=$TOMCAT_HOME/usr/local/bin/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1

	export TOMCAT_HOME JAVA_HOME BASH_ENV PATH
	unset USERNAME
14.  The final step is to reboot the Linux box by typing "shutdown -r
now"
15.  You can startup Tomcat by type "$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh start"
16.  To check if Tomcat is working type this in your browser
"http://www.domain.com:8080", make sure you use port 8080.
17.  Done.