tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: web.xml Question
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:56:48 GMT
> Usually the web.xml file of a web application starts with the following:
>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
> 2.3//EN"
>      "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
>
> This URL referst to the dtd file on SUN's server. I think most XML parsers
> like SAX need to read the dtd file to be able to parse the XML file.

That would be a big problem. I'm no expert on the mnatter, but since web-app DTD is something
no Servlet container can work without, couldn't the the container provide it to the parser?
That URL is just an identifier, saying "yes, I'm build upon Sun's public DTD for web.xml".
So, the container could tell the parser "look, here is that DTD, don't go fetching it".

Maybe it's naive of me, but that's how I would do it. I've been using Tomcat for some time
now and it never complained on web.xml. I'm behind a firewall and Tomcat is not even aware
of that.

Nix.