tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Sachin Tyagi" <sty...@ggn.aithent.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat4.0:-Ignorance Of class path ::::oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver ..
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2002 06:25:01 GMT
thanks ..
Its working...when classes12.jar file placed to
jakarta-tomcat-4.0\common\lib (WEB-INF/lib  it might be )  only...It does
not work when we place that file in \common\classes...that directory is for
what.

And on more thing is this mentioned some where that TomCat4.0  ignore the
complete CLASSPATH of system.....because some other .jar files required for
my web application,  set in classpath are also not able to import...????????

So is this mandatory to place all .jar files in tomcat/lib...  which is
required for the application.??
Or
can we add classpath through scripts at Tomcat startup....

Regds

sachin


----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 2:01 AM
Subject: Re:
Tomcat4.0:-java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
..


>
>
> On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, David Morsberger wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:02:23 -0500
> > From: David Morsberger <davidmorsberger@home.com>
> > Reply-To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re:
> >
Tomcat4.0:-java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDrive
> >     r ..
> >
> > I had the same problem and converting the .zip to a .jar worked. I
reviewed
> > the documentation and I could not find any mention of zip files. Does
the
> > absence of info on zip files imply they are not supported?
> >
>
> Yep, in terms of what any web container is supposed to support in
> /WEB-INF/lib (and Tomcat applies the same rules to its shared "lib"
> directories).
>
> Zip files still work on a CLASSPATH for standard Java applications,
> because they were in existence from JDK 1.0 days -- before there was such
> a thing as a JAR file.  But that still doesn't do you any good on either
> 3.3 or 4.0, because they both ignore your CLASSPATH ...
>
>
> > I think the Tomcat 3.3 and 4.0 documentation should be updated to
explicitly
> > state that zip files and not supported by the servlet spec and therefore
> > must be converted to jar files and stored in the /lib directory.
> >
>
> I disagree.
>
> The list of things that are *not* supported is close to infinite :-).
> You'd be much better off making the starting assumption that anything not
> mentioned is not supported.  The only time you'll be wrong is when a
> feature hasn't been documented yet.
>
> And, even with it documented, it would still be one of the "top 5"
> questions on TOMCAT-USER, just like it is today.  The mailing list
> archives are full of the answer to this question -- along with a lot of
> questions that *are* answered in the docs -- so it wouldn't help much
> anyway.
>
> Craig
>
>
> >
> > > From: "Craig R. McClanahan" <craigmcc@apache.org>
> > > Reply-To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:00:31 -0800 (PST)
> > > To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > Subject: Re:
> > >
Tomcat4.0:-java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.
.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Sachin Tyagi wrote:
> > >
> > >> Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 14:52:15 +0530
> > >> From: Sachin Tyagi <styagi@ggn.aithent.com>
> > >> Reply-To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > >> Subject:
> > >>
Tomcat4.0:-java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDrive
> > >> r..
> > >>
> > >> hi all,
> > >> while I am running my web application with Tomcat4.0(Catalina)  in
accessing
> > >> database queries.It is showing java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > >> oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver..
> > >> I am using classes12.zip driver ..I have already set classpath for
the
> > >> same..And with Tomcat3.2 my application is running well. Only with
Tomcat4.0
> > >> getting this problem.I am trying to upgrade for Tomcat4.0.
> > >> In this case any thing I have to edit or set properties in
server.xml. or
> > >> some where else. Or this relate with Realms.
> > >> If any one having idea about this plz pass this.
> > >>
> > >
> > > You need to do two things:
> > >
> > > * Read the class-loader-howto.html documentation, and you'll see that
> > > Tomcat recognizes only JAR files, not ZIP files.  Rename classes12.zip
> > > to classes12.jar and it should work.
> > >
> > > * Complain to Oracle that they should package their JDBC drivers as
> > > JAR files.
> > >
> > >> Regards
> > >> Sachin
> > >>
> > >
> > > Craig McClanahan
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>
>


--
To unsubscribe:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
Troubles with the list: <mailto:tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message