tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Sand" <rs...@vgalleries.com>
Subject how close static resources when an application is stopped/reloaded?
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:32:51 GMT
Hi all-

I have a web application that uses some static resources to make them available to any class
in the application.  Amongst these static resources is a home-brewed JDBC connection pool.
 What I'm seeing is that with Tomcat 4, when I stop/start or reload an application from the
manager app, it isn't freeing up these static resources.  I can see this because my memory
utilization goes up about 5 megs every time I restart, whereas if I stop and restart the whole
tomcat process, my memory stays the same.  Also the database starts yelling at me about too
many applications simultaneously etc.

How can I tell Tomcat to clean up these resources when it stops the application? What hook/mechanism
is there?  Is there some sort of listener interface I can implement, similar in idea to an
HttpSessionBindingEvent, to let me know when an application is shutting down so I can close
all of the database connections?

None of this was an issue in Tomcat 3.x because I had no choice but to shut down the entire
tomcat instance!

Any help greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Best regards,

Richard