tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Hansen <ephan...@pacbell.net>
Subject RE: 3.3 classpath omissions?
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:57:56 GMT
Thanks... I did read the documentation - and there are .jar files in the
specified directories - and none of them, except the tomcat.jar file, are
listed in the classpath.

The Tomcat.jar file is located in 'application classloader'... everything
above that (Common, apps, webapps, and server classloaders) are not being
added to the classpath.

Is there some setting that indicates whether or not to load those classes..
or is it supposed to do all the classloaders by default.

Thanks,
Eric Hansen

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 12:46 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: 3.3 classpath omissions?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Eric Hansen wrote:

> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:34:10 -0800
> From: Eric Hansen <ephansen@pacbell.net>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: 3.3 classpath omissions?
>
> I've been using 3.2.3... and am now trying 3.3.  When I startup Tomcat, in
the text that writes to the screen, there is only one file listed in the
classpath (bin/../lib/tomcat.jar)  I am used to seeing a whole bunch of
files - including my webapps application classes.

> Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Not reading the documentation.

Both Tomcat 3.3 and 4.0 have implemented a different philosophy about how
to deal with shared JAR files -- they must go in a particular directory,
and the user's CLASSPATH variable is totally ignored at startup time
(which is a very good thing -- CLASSPATH caused way too much grief for
Tomcat 3.2 users).  I don't know where the 3.3 docs are about this, but in
4.0 they are at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

> Thanks,
> Eric Hansen