tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nikola Milutinovic" <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: mod_webapp and php
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:36:29 GMT
> Yeah, its interesting question, maybe for Tomcat developers to come up,
> besides its marked as FIXME to add some info about the way mod_webapp
> work behind the scene. :))
>
> but:
>
> RELEASE-NOTES-4.0-B7.txt
> ---------------------
> Tomcat 4.0 and Apache:
> ---------------------
>
> The binary distribution for Tomcat 4.0 includes the most recent stable version
> of the WARP connector, which is the Tomcat component that talks to mod_webapp
> inside Apache 1.3.  The current state of this support is summarized as follows:
>
> * The mod_webapp connector is configured based on the contents of the
>   web.xml file for your web application.  The only required per-webapp
>   configuration information in your Apache 1.3 httpd.conf file is
>   something like this:
>
>     WebAppDeploy examples   warpConnection   /examples/
>
>   which causes mod_webapp to automatically recognize all of your servlet
>   mappings, security constraints, and other configuration elements.
>
> * Currently, mod_webapp forwards *all* requests under the specified
>   context path to Tomcat for processing.  When Tomcat 4.0 final is released,
>   it will automatically configure itself to serve static resources
>   from Apache *unless* the resource is subject to filtering, or subject
>   to a security constraint, as defined in web.xml.  No extra configuration
>   in httpd.conf will be required.

I cannot fathom how they plan to do that, since it would violate the view of a "web application"
as a sealed component on the "servlet container". I mean suppose you have a WELCOME.GIF file
in your web application, how is Apache supposed to serve it, other than through WARP? Pre-caching
of all static content upon "Warp Deployment"?

Or perhaps, not pre-caching, but just simple caching? Man, that is dangerous. Suppose I keep
my GIFs in database and I upload new GIFs. OK, OK, perhaps it is not a good idea to remap
*.gif to a servlet, since browsers might cache it, too.

Anyway, a web application with a whole lot of static content might need some re-modeling?

> and:
>
> RELEASE-NOTES-4.1-dev.txt
> ---------------------
> Tomcat 4.0 and Apache:
> ---------------------
>
> The binary distribution for Tomcat 4.0 includes the most recent stable version
> of the WARP connector, which is the Tomcat component that talks to mod_webapp
> inside Apache 1.3.  The current state of this support is summarized as follows:
>
> * The mod_webapp connector is configured based on the contents of the
>   web.xml file for your web application.  See the documentation included
>   with the connector for configuration requirements.

I guess they realized that they cannot even make a promise on that.

Whatever happened to Pier Fumagalli (if I remeber the name correctly)? He was the main man
behind mod_webapp. Last I heard, he was looking for a new job.

Nix.