tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pablo Millet" <pablo.mil...@redmessage.com>
Subject Context Or not?
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2002 19:14:49 GMT
Hi all.

Sorry for bringing this old topic back to the surface...
But I really need help here.

I have my Tomcat4 up and running as Stand-Alone but it doesn't want to deploy my .WAR files.
All of the "Examles" application do work just fine...

With Tomcat3.3 all works like a charm :)

>From what I understand reading the manuals AND sufing the web for several days
I must include my web.xml (descriptor) file into the WEB-INF dir in the app.
Well, i'm doing so and i'm also adding my context in the server.xml wich looks like this:

<!-- My XXX Context -->
<Context path="/XXX" docBase="XXX" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>

My web.xml (desccriptor) looks like this:

###
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"  "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
<web-app>
    <!-- General description of the application -->
    <display-name>NAME</display-name>
    <description>
      bla bla
    </description>

    <context-param>
      <param-name>webmaster</param-name>
      <param-value>myself@domain.com</param-value>
      <description>
            bla bla
      </description>
    </context-param>

    <session-config>
      <session-timeout>10</session-timeout>    <!-- 10 minutes -->
    </session-config>
</web-app>
###

Question:
Must I have a context in server.xml AND a descriptor?
When I do have both I get this error message in the logfile:

###
Error initializing resources: Document base
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/webapps/XXX does not exist or is not a readable directory
###

When I remove the context entry from the server.xml it all works fine !!!

So my friends, wich is it... both or one of them?

Many thanx.
Cheers Pablo