tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Rowles <JRow...@ordsvy.gov.uk>
Subject RE: Known Memory clean-up issues?
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2001 09:43:44 GMT
> > NOW, does anyone know when the damn jspDestroy method should
> > be invoked?!
> > PLEASE!
>
> From the JavaDoc for javax.servlet.jsp.JspPage (version 2.2):
> jsp_destroy() is invoked when the JspPage is about to be destroyed
>
> (I believe that the underscore is a typo.)
>
> A JSP is only destroyed when unloaded - when its about to be
> recompiled or
> the server is shutting down.  The spec allows JSPs to be
> unloaded whenever
> the server wants to, but Tomcat doesn't do that.

Thanks Randy.

My problem turned out to be lack of understanding on my part[1].  A jsp
class in not instanciated for each session, but only for the application as
a whole.  The jspService method is then entered in a separate thread for
each user.

Hence I only see it removed from memory when a new version is loaded.

Justin.
[1] There's a surprise ;-)
--
You're only jealous cos the little penguins are talking to me.

For more information on Ordnance Survey products and services,
visit our web site at http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk