tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jim Cheesman <jch...@msl.es>
Subject Re: Jsp compile option for Big5 encoding / encoding question
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:39:44 GMT
At 09:02 AM 03/12/01, you wrote:

And thanks for the (mostly) snipped answer.

> > At 01:53 AM 03/12/01, you wrote:
> > >This default is required by the Servlet and JSP specifications, so it is
> > >not configurable.
> >

> > So why did they decide against unicode??? Shouldn't that be the standard?
> >

>Does your browser support Unicode directly?  Do you really want to pay
>16-bit output (or potentially more, for future versions of Unicode)
>overhead for every single character?

Yes, I would like to pay that. I already pay a 7/8 bit overhead, and a
supposedly machine independent language would be well served by further
internationalisation. I already accept that java is not as fast as, say, C,
so what's the problem? Set the default as unicode, and then allow people to
downgrade to a subset if the performance overhead is critical.

--

                           *   Jim Cheesman   *
             Trabajo: