tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jim Cheesman <jch...@msl.es>
Subject Re: Jsp compile option for Big5 encoding / encoding question
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 08:11:56 GMT
At 01:53 AM 03/12/01, you wrote:
>This default is required by the Servlet and JSP specifications, so it is
>not configurable.

So why did they decide against unicode??? Shouldn't that be the standard?

Quick question (vaguely off topic?) re. encoding:

The situation:
We have a database (at the moment either SQL Server 2000 or DB2) with
non-ascii data included (Spanish and French characters, mainly). We have to
serve XML pages from this, and are using jsp and tomcat 4.0 to do so. The
pages generate correctly, but are not visible using M$ IE 5.x/6.0 if the
encoding is set to UTF-8. If we set the encoding to ISO8859 it all works fine.

Why? Is this a problem with IE5? Or what?

(And out of interest, what encoding is used in each stage?)

Jim

>Craig McClanahan
>

>On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Antony wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 12:24:35 +0800
> > From: Antony <u8736047@mis.nccu.edu.tw>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Jsp compile option for Big5 encoding
> >
> > Hi:
> >     It is known that Tomcat4.0 handles by default iso8859 as encoding
> for jsp.
> > Is there any way to change the default? I have checked all
> configuration file(server.xml etc)
> > however cannot find any entry regarding it. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Antony
> >

>--

                           *   Jim Cheesman   *