tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marx, Mitchell E (Mitch), ALSVC" <mm...@att.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.01 classloader problem?
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2001 13:19:13 GMT

As it seems a whole lot of people keep coming back to the classloader, I
have a few questions in general.

1) Tomcat seems to be taking a pretty self-centered view of the world, in
that any libraries it needs must be installed in one of it's pre-designated
directories. Why is that?  I'm guessing for sake of the Tomcat code, not the
Tomcat user.  It also goes against standing practices:

	a) The JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext directory for placing JAR files,
		From what I have read, Tomcat has a problem if things ARE
placed there? (like servlet.jar)
	b) Oracle JDBC driver is a .zip, not a .jar and not usually
installed "inside" Tomcat
		Yes, I have heard the solution of creating the symbolic
link, but this is clumsy.

2) Can/Should there be a command line option to Tomcat:
	a) boolean to indicate use the CLASSPATH (default to false)
	b) define the classloader (like java.security.manager)
	c) add jar or ZIP files, or directories, to each part of the
classloader (ie. add JDBC driver to common classloader)

I am currently porting my application from WebLogic.  They dropped the whole
CLASSPATH vs weblogic.class.path due to this class loader confusion.

And I am quite aware of the "If you don't like it, change it" policy; just
trying to feel some people out on the topic.  Perhaps this question is
better served on the tomcat-dev mailing list, but I do still consider myself
a "newbie".

Thanks for listening.

Mitchell Evan Marx        mmarx@att.com
AT&T IP Network Configuration & Provisioning Development