tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RE2: Jsp compile option for Big5 encoding / encoding question
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:00:14 GMT

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Ing. Gabriel Gajdos wrote:

> Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:41:39 +0100
> From: Ing. Gabriel Gajdos <Gabriel.Gajdos@ses.sk>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE2: Jsp compile option for Big5 encoding / encoding question
>
> Craig (or somebody else), could you, please, give me a hint in following question?
>
> | JSP pages follow these rules:
> |
> | * If you declare a "pageEncoding" attribute on your <%@ page %>
> |   directive (supported in JSP 1.2 only), that character set is used
> |   to read the text of the page itself (as the page is being compiled).
> |
> | * The character encoding from the contentType attribute of the
> |   <%@ page %> directive is used, if present
>
> I know and use these settings...
> But:
> Is it possible to have SINGLE JSP page with *variable* encoding/Content Type?
>
> <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=XY" %>
>
> And I want to set the Content Type (or charset/encoding) according to *current* conditions.
> For example acording to a field value from database, or Property from .properties file
with language dependent settings.

> Is this possible in T4? IMHO JSP specifications do not say about this.
>
> I would like to make something similar (this syntax is NOT correct):
>
> <%@ page contentType="p.getProperty("ContentType")" %>
>
> I also tried a custom tag solution, but with no success.
> It seams, directives bitween <%@ %> directives can not contain executable code.
>
> Of course, this approach works when using servlet (I mean variable ContentType).
> So can this also be done in JSPs?
> Or in this case is the only way to do it by using Unicode?
>
> Thanx in advance.

In JSP 1.1 you cannot reliably do this.  In JSP 1.2, the container is
required to allow you to set the content type and character encoding
dynamically, either like this:

<%
  String contentType = "text/html;charset=Big5"; // Or whatever
  response.setContentType(contentType);
%>

or by having a custom tag do this for you.  The only restriction is that
you have to set this before the output buffer is flushed.

> GG

Craig