tomcat-users mailing list archives

From mc...@power3.cc
Subject Help: 4 clients vs 1 client
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:21:41 GMT
Hello,

The system of my company consists of an Apache + Tomcat 3.2 server and a database server.
An application is being developed, it involves calling a tomcat servlet which retrieves records
from the database server and then use the records to build an XML. I've tested the times required
to run from 1000 to 20000 records for a single client, and then tested the times for 4 clients.
I found that the average time needed for 4 clients to build the XML with 'n' records is always
similar to the time needed for a single client to build with '4n' records(excluding the time
to fetch the database). Is this pattern reasonable? My boss suggests that 4 clients to build
'n' records should be similar to a single client to build 'n' records as servlets involve
some kinds of threading mechanism. If it is true, what are the means to improve to get a better
pattern? Please give me some opinions, thanks.

McMug