tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Timothy Shadel <shade...@mtc.byu.edu>
Subject Dynamic Email
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:41:44 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to generate dynamic e-mail content, typically based on some parameters stored in
the current HttpSession.  JSP seems like a great tool for this.  I can easily edit the "static"
portion of the e-mail, and have non-technical personnel work with it.  I'd get all the advantages
JSP gives to dynamic HTML generation.  I can't seem to figure out a good way to do it, though.
 I've tried to use the RequestDispactcher.include(), but there's no way to change the OutputStream
to recover the content that was inadvertently streamed to the browser.  I can't wrap the request/response
objects in the Servlet 2.2 spec (tomcat 3.x), and I'm not sure I'd know the details of how
to even if I was running tomcat 4.0.  I tried creating a URL and calling getContent(), which
returns a PushbackInputStream, but this works only sporadically.  Most of the time the buffer
has been read completely, and I have no data with which to push it back.  All I want to do
is load a JSP page, ensure that it's processed within the current Session and Request (so
it has access to the needed variables), and then push that content into an e-mail message
that I send using the JavaMail API.

I assume that somebody else has wanted this type of thing before.  If there's another solution
to let end-users easily edit the static surroundings of dynamic e-mail content, where I can
use templates, internationalization, and other great tools as easily as Struts, please let
me know.

Thanks,

Tim