tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Richard Troy <>
Subject Compiles - manual and auto - and classpath
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 06:41:42 GMT

Hi All,

I was under the impression that Tomcat will automatically (re)compile code
if it gets updated, though a restart of Tomcat may be required. It hasn't
done so for me, spitting out messages like:

2001-11-05 22:18:05
Marking servlet org.apache.catalina.INVOKER.HelloWorldExample as
2001-11-05 22:18:05 StandardContext[/examples]: Servlet /examples threw
load() exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find servlet class
HelloWorldExample or a class it depends on

So I thought, no problem, I'll just compile it myself, but I can't seem to
get that to happen either?! I'm pretty sure it's a classpath problem... I
wouldn't have believed it could be such a pain in the ...ahem.  I'm moving
some java code from a plain-Jane application environment to a
web-deployment strategy. I know I've got to set my classpath to include
all of the appropriate directories that contain the 'import'ed .class
files, base directories of package trees, and also the full name with path
specs for all appropriate .jar files. But somehow I can't seem to find
javax.servlet.* All of my non-Tomcat-related compiles work fine.

I've got Tomcat 4.0.1 installed.

I've been reading up, but this info isn't staring me in the face and
searching the web/archives for 'classpath' makes my eyes swim! -smile-
But I've tried anyway and find not particularly helpful stuff like this:

# CLASSPATH environment value passed to the JVM
# Syntax: wrapper.classpath=[path] (String)
# List the 'jar' files required to run Tomcat.
# Don't forget to add the path to 'tools.jar', which is
# required to compile 'JSP' sources.
# 'WEB-INF/classes' and 'WAR' files for each context
# will be automaticaly included in CLASSPATH by Tomcat,
# so we must not list them.

But I tried adding /usr/java/jdk1.3/lib/tools.jar, and it didn't help.

Please send me a clue! This is frustrating and not a little embarassing!

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>
Troubles with the list: <>

View raw message