tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Endre StĂžlsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Apache people, For god's sake Do something!
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 09:19:38 GMT
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Graham Leggett wrote:

| (And please don't fill the thing with wizards, rather have a default
| config that works out the box in a basic config - wizards are great for
| beginners, but the minute you stop being a beginner the wizards just get
| in your way).

A graphical user interface that can do most stuff, with wizards to
optionally use for setting up "a new webapp" or "new virtual host" or new
whatever is a neat thing. I am a pretty long time unix user, and I love
text configuration files. But I hate roaming around in those files, not
knowing where to begin or end. There's just so many of them! I forget
which stupid files I used "last time", because it is such a pretty long
time inbetween each time I have to do that digging (and I loath doing it,
so I put it off as long as possible!).

That I like from the Windows world. Just click on that computer icon, or
that whatever-icon, and you're rockin'. But of course; windows suck if you
actually want to do some "real stuff". Mostly because of their annoying
binary configuration files, and of course because of their plainly idiotic
ways of letting the webserver be a part of the kernel!!

Anyway; both Apache Httpd and Tomcat could do with some serious GUI
snacks, made by the core apache people, and not as an thrid-party addon.
Apache _is_ losing out to IIS (at least that's what I've understood
lately), and it's _just_ because of the non-GUI stuff. Apache is approx.
1000000 times better than IIS, but you need a Ph.D to set the shit up...
No wonder people use the dangerous "Bugger Overflow" IIS instead, just to
not start up _Notepad_ to configure the webserver or to change that little
setting right there..

--
Mvh,
Endre