tomcat-users mailing list archives

From greyson.sm...@convergys.com
Subject Re: installation is a nightmare/ mod_jserv vs. mod_jk
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:33:54 GMT

For what it's worth, I found mod_jk easier to install and configure than
mod_jserv -- though when I rebuilt my box, I didn't bundle them at all, I
just used port 8080 for the tomcat stuff.

Also, one of the users on this list seems to have written these
instructions, and they worked for me quite well, I hope they help.

http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache/

                    felix

                    <felix@crucial-sy        To:     Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                    stems.com>               cc:

                                             Subject:     installation is a nightmare/ mod_jserv
vs.
                    09-11-01 03:23 PM        mod_jk

                    Please respond to

                    "Tomcat Users

                    List"

I know everybody is trying, but installing tomcat 3.2.3 with apache is a
horrible experience.  wrong information everywhere. the most painful and
convoluted installation i have ever seen.

this is the most useful guide i have yet found:
http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/apache-tomcat-unix.xml

problems:

the linux binary distribution comes with workers.properties configured for
NT

mod_jserv.so is not on my machine.  i am led to beleive that mod_jk
replaces
it entirely.  not true ?  i guess i'm just going to put it on, but it
suggests that something is not right in the basic configuration.
mostly people seem to say that we should switch to mod_jk anyway, but i'm
not even sure they are equivalent.

tomcat-apache.conf is an auto-generated file.  i make changes to it, on
startup they are over-written.  it specifies mod_jserv.so

tomcat.conf does not appear to affect it
i cannot figure out from where it is getting its information.

NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or
entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is
privileged or otherwise confidential.  If you have received this electronic
mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without
copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email
or by telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be
corrected.