tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Martin van den Bemt" <mar...@isallineed.org>
Subject RE: UnknownHostException thrown from SmtpClient
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:08:36 GMT
See below..

> On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:49:12 +0100
> > From: Martin van den Bemt <martin@isallineed.org>
> > To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: RE: UnknownHostException thrown from SmtpClient
> >
> > I like the idea of a queue which holds the mails and tries
> until it works
> > (didn't have time to do that myself, just catching everything and not
> > throwing any exceptions, just logging to a mail log file if it doesn't
> > succeed).
>
> That's exactly what your local SMTP server (sendmail or whatever) does for
> you.  Why reinvent the wheel?

Sendmail is good at bouncing mails, and we need to know about that. Since
the return address is always someone external to our company (and don't even
know about) we need to handle bounces and retry again (sending it directly
btw). If after some time the mail still bounces, we need to be informed and
take appropiate action (which sendmail or qmail cannot handle, or I don't
like them to handle that..).

Mvgr,
Martin