tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Romianowski" <p...@antaramusic.de>
Subject RE: Apache people, For god's sake Do something!
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:31:36 GMT
I kept on asking myself, if I should comment on this.

I think Craig made the basic thing clear: It's volunteers work!

Another point is that after reading the list for some month, I must say the
the "quality of questions" really decreased (the list was "better" during
the betas). I'm totally tired of reading "how do I change to port 80" at
least 3 times a week. And I admire the people like Craig answering it over
and over again. Yes, you could say the docs are not that good - but
nevertheless RTFM and huge Mailinglist-archive first.

And I don't think that a graphical interface would solve the "problem". I
think the time would be better spent in improving the docs (yes, I know what
you're thinking - I'll try to contribute...)

If you decide to use open source, you cannot say: "Hey, I want to get all
the advantages like fast development, an active community and the overall
better product - BUT I want other people supporting me like I was paying for
it." And thus not everybody should use open source...

pero

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, Nicholas Katzakis wrote:

> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:35:07 -0000
> From: Nicholas Katzakis <nkatz@ntlworld.com>
> To: tomcat <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Apache people, For god's sake Do something!
>
> If they don't have the people
> or resources then .. ask people to contribute!

OK, I will.  Hey Nicholas, where's your contribution?

There are no "Apache poeple" in the sense you are talking about -- only
volunteers who work on Apache projects because they want to help make it
better.  Better docs are just as important as better code, but submitting
suggested changes (or added stuff) is also better then whining :-).

> Nicholas

Craig McClanahan