tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Antonio W. Lagnada" <nf...@msn.com>
Subject RE: Design Question (Applet or HTML/Servlet)
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 16:11:13 GMT
Hi All,

One of the better ways to tackle this requirement is:

1.) Use object oriented javascript to represent the nodes.
2.) Use a servlet to update the node.

You can use a hidden frame for the servlet.  When the user clicks on a node,
the node posts to the servlet (with the hidden frame as a target frame); the
servlet generates a dynamic javascript to update the tree node.

For the servlet side, I could suggest the following:

You can use the Java tree node object to implement the nodes using a
Singleton pattern.  That way all clients will have the same instance of the
tree.  Then you can just query the tree for whatever purpose.

The reason why this works well:

1.)  We are not pulling the entire tree all at once, so the performance is
desireable.  This also have some memory benefits on the client-side.

I hope this helps.
nfet