tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jay Wright <>
Subject FW: [servlets] Error when wrapping a response object
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:08:55 GMT

Has anyone using Tomcat seen a problem like this?  In short, I am wrapping a
response object so I can write the HTML to a file.  Then, I would like to
use the ReqeustDispatcher to forward the response or at the very least use
the response objects sendRedirect to go to the next page.

With Resin, this works fine.  In Tomcat, I get an error which wont allow me
to do either becuase the response object is "committed."  The attached email
explains further.

Any one seen this before?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Wright []
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 10:36 AM
To: Servlets
Subject: [servlets] Error when wrapping a response object

Hi all,

I am getting a servlet error which has something to do with a wrapped
response object.

With Resin, I have created a servlet that wraps a response object for the
purpose of writing the response's html to a file.  This complete
successfully, then the RequestDispatcher forwards the request to a jsp,
which in effect displays a thank you page.  It works wonderfully.

When I deploy the same application to Tomcat, I get the following error:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot forward after response has been
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(Unknown
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(Unknown
        at atonce.mas.web.MainServlet.doGet(

Apparently the two servlet containers handle this differently.  As curious
as this is, I'm more concerned with getting the tomcat version working.  Is
there anything I can do to "uncommit" the response?  I assume not.  I could
use a sendRedirect, but would prefer to stick with the RequestDispatchers
forward method to be consistent and standard with my servlet model.

Any ideas?

SIGS Conference for Java Development
Targeted, focused classes, expertise level classes
taught by Java gurus, rigorous tutorials, and
exhibit floor makes SIGS Conference for Java
Development a learning experience unlike any
other. Join over 10,000 developers and programmers
from across the U.S. and around the world who
have benefited from attending SIGS/101 Conferences.
You are currently subscribed to servlets as:

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>
Troubles with the list: <>

View raw message