tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ralph Einfeldt" <ralph.einfe...@uptime-isc.de>
Subject AW: benchmarking Tomcat4?
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:20:48 GMT
Depends on what you mean with 'better'.

There is a tools named ab (Apache Bench) that is part
of the apache web server. (The apache guys recommend
to use the version that comes with apache 2.0). It
doesn't have all those gui features and some restricted
means to simulate user interactions, but does a good
job in benchmarking certain aspects of an application.

There are other free solutions that have comparable
features to ab, but differ in detail and technology.
(I don't have the links at hand, we used last year
two tools to trackdown a bottleneck and I can't
remember enough of the tool names to do a meanfull
search for them)

Rational had once a tool named SiteLoad which was
available for free as a limited version, but it looks
like they don't have this product any longer. (I haven't
looked if there is new tool that has the equivalent
functionality.)

(With the microsoft tool we also made some strange
 expierences with apache+jserv+gnujsp. It looks like
 they sometimes combine the results of the
 previous run with the result of the next run.
 When we started to clean the previous results
 before the next run the result got more
 reproducable)