tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Weaver, Scott" <Swea...@rippe.com>
Subject RE: MVC in Tomcat is hard
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 15:35:39 GMT
IMOHO, forget jsp's for MVC. Velocity templating is much easier for non-java
web-developers to understand, is 10 time more elegant than jsp and allows
for true MVC code seperation.  Also, the Turbine web application framework
gives you "pull tools" (and much, much more) that eases pure MVC
implementations.

Struts does make things easier if your hell-bent on using jsp's, but I have
never liked SUN's implementation of custom tags.  The proccess always seemed
more complicated than it should be.

take a look at the Turbine web framework: http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine

and Velcoity(instead of jsp's) for templating:
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity

My $0.02,
Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Evil [mailto:drevil@sidereal.kz]
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2001 4:55 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: MVC in Tomcat is hard

I'm trying to use the Model-View-Controler design approach in Tomcat.
Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'll put the Model stuff in a servlet.  The View stuff will go into a
jsp page (actually a custom tag lib).  What I need to do is, when I
view a page like foo.jsp, the servlet needs to get invoked to set up
some state, so the tags can then dispaly it.  So, let's say the client
requests

http://host/dir/foo.jsp

I want to have a servlet, let's call it controler.class, be called,
do its stuff, and then get a RequestDispatcher, and then do
rd.forward() to foo.jsp.  This doesn't seem to be possible.  Is there
a way to do this?

Thanks