tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Basil Bourque <ba...@speakeasy.org>
Subject Re: mac install problems
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:57:01 GMT
on 11/28/2001 06:46 PM, the nice person named sara frucht at
sfrucht@webbnet.com shared this wisdom:

> I am trying to install Tomcat on a Mac running OS 8.6  I have followed
> Basil Bourke's instructions at

That's 'Bourque', not 'Bourke'. Spelled just like it sounds (in French).
;-)

> http://www.basilbourque.com/java4u/tomcat_on_macintosh/index.html
> which uses
> jBindery.  When I try to run from jBindery, I get an error that says "The
> main class "org/apache/tomcat/startup/Tomcat" could not be loaded.  Either
> it is not in the classpath or has a static initializer that uses a class
> not in the classpath."  I suspect that my file system is screwed up in some
> way.  I've also looked at the installation instructions on the Tomcat site,
> which are only for Unix and Windows.

I suspect you need to re-read the details of my web pages (my pages have
worked successfully for many other people):
http://www.basilbourque.com/java4u/tomcat_on_macintosh/index.html
http://www.basilbourque.com/java4u/

Note that only Tomcat v3 runs on Mac OS 8 & 9. For Tomcat v4 you need Mac OS
X.

On Mac OS 8 & 9, you do *not* download Sun's JDK (also known as the Java
Software Development Kit or Java SDK). You should not have any "jdkxxx"
folder on your Mac. Apple provides the equivalent of the JDK 1.1.8, but in a
very different manner (system extensions and GUI utility programs). You need
two downloads from:

http://developer.apple.com/java/classic.html

(1) MRJ 2.2.5 which installs the "MRJ Libraries" folder in your System
Folder > Extensions folder.

(2) MRJ SDK (Software Development Kit) 2.2, which installs JBindery &
MRJAppBuilder, as well as the tools similar to Sun's JDK (rmic, etc.).
Do not confuse the "MRJ SDK" with the download for the "MRJ Redistribution
Kit" (just read carefully before downloading).

On Mac OS 8 & 9, the classpath is defined by two things:
(1) Any class or jar files you put in a special folder.
(2) Any class or jar file you specify in JBindery.

The Classpath is explained in Step #2 on:
http://www.basilbourque.com/java4u/tomcat_on_macintosh/index.html

> They said to set an environmental
> variable for java.home, as well as for tomcat.home.   The java.home
> environmental variable is supposed to be set to the root directory of the
> JDK.  I've tried to do that, but I'm not sure where it is.

On Mac OS 8 & 9, you set the equivalent to an environment variable on a
panel within JBindery.

See Step #3 on:
http://www.basilbourque.com/java4u/tomcat_on_macintosh/
You must enter disk and folder names as they exist on your particular
computer.

---|  Java 2 On Mac  |----------------

Tomcat 3 *does* work fine on Mac OS 8/9, assuming you have lots of memory
(128 megs is my minimum). However, if you want to run Tomcat 4, you need
Java 2. On Macintosh, this means 3 things:

(1) Upgrading to Mac OS X 10.1.x (which has Java 2 / JDK 1.3.1 built into
it). Costs $130 (US) and well worth every penny. Or buy any new Mac since
they all include Mac OS X.

(2) Learning the basics of the Unix command line editor through Apple's
"Terminal" utility program. You don't need to learn very much though to do
Java stuff. I suggest reading the first 50 or 70 pages of "Using csh & tcsh"
book, published by O'Reilly. "tcsh" is the default Unix shell provided by
Apple.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tcsh/

(3) Having at least 256 megs of RAM on your Mac, IMHO, and preferably more.
So spend the the sixty bucks on a half-gig of RAM.  ;-)
http://www.ramseeker.com/

Through the near-miracle of the Classic environment, you can continue to run
MRJ in Mac OS 9.2.1 running inside of Mac OS X, by the way.

You do *not* need to install Apple's Mac OS X "Developer" CD-ROM to run Java
programs (including Tomcat) and do Java development.

For Apple's info on Mac Java:
http://developer.apple.com/java/classic.html
http://www.apple.com/java/
http://www.apple.com/macosx/
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/
http://developer.apple.com/java/

> I have a number
> of folders called JDK 1.x (1.1, 1.2, 1.3), and some others called jdk 1.x.
> The jdk's seem to be documentation, and the JDK's are buried in a folder
> called "(Project Stationary)".  It's my understating that the "()" make the
> folder invisible, but that may no longer be true.  Anyway, I could use some
> help.  Thanks.

I have never heard of "()" making folders invisible, but anyways, you don't
need the JDK folders. Delete them from your Mac.

Except that you may want to download Sun's JDK documentation (html files)
(since Apple's MRJ implements a full Java 1.1.8 environment we play by the
same API rules).
For compatiblity with Mac OS 8/9's filename limit of 31 characters:
http://java.sun.com/docs/mac_format/index.html
Or you can access the 1.1.8 doc over the internet at:
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/index.html

--Basil Bourque