tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <>
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:22:32 GMT
On 14/11/2001 07:07 pm, "Nikola Milutinovic" <>

> Tom Drake wrote:
>> This has nothing to do with tomcat. It is standard unix behavior.
>> When a user logs out, all processes created by that user are killed.
> No, when a user logs out all processes that are children to that shell
> instance
> are sent a HUP signal (Hang UP). A process may choose to ignore that signal.
> Every well written daemon and server process SHOULD do that (among other
> things).
>> Unix provides simple way to around this feature.
>> Simply type the following command:
>>     nohup run &
> I use " start" instead of " run" and so should Nancy. The
> problem is in Tomcat getting HUP signal, but in loosing a console, I think.
>> In this case all 'console output produced by tomcat will
>> appear in a file called 'nohup.out'.
>> The name nohup comes from the days of flaky dialup connections
>> and is short for 'no hang-up'. It is used to
>> prevent a spurious loss of connection (or hang-up) from stopping
>> a process.
> Or for instance, I connect to my company, locate a file for download, place it
> in script, run the script with nohup and disconnect. The download will go on.

It must be the window manager, because when I SSH to a Solaris 8 machine,
issue the "tomcat start" and then exit (with "exit"), tomcat is still up...
The shell doesn't send any weird HUP, at least from remote...

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>
Troubles with the list: <>

View raw message