tomcat-users mailing list archives

From felix <fe...@crucial-systems.com>
Subject Re: installation is a nightmare/ mod_jserv vs. mod_jk
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 00:05:52 GMT
> From: greyson.smith@convergys.com
> Also, one of the users on this list seems to have written these
> instructions, and they worked for me quite well, I hope they help.
>
> http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/UNIX/apache/

thanks greyson.  i found a couple of useful bits in there.

there should not be any vestige of mod_jserv running at all.

i'm not sure why it is being distributed with it now.  its a nightmare for
everyone to work through, costs a minimum of 2 hours to fuss with.  is
someone afraid of hurting someone's feelings by just getting rid of it ? or
is there some hidden issue with mod_jk still ?

___________________
the instructions at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/mod_jk-howto.html

are very muddled.

__________________
do this:
Include TOMCAT_HOME/conf/jk/mod_jk.conf-auto
in httpd.conf

and do *not*
Include TOMCAT_HOME/conf/jk/tomcat-apache.conf
  as it is repeatedly recommended to do.
_____________________
mod_jk.conf-auto *replaces* tomcat-apache.conf

although anything called tomcat-apache.conf sounds like it would configure
the relationship and mod_jk.conf sounds like it would just configure the
mod_jk itself.

tomcat-apache-mod_jk.conf would be immediately understandable imho.

they discuss 3.3 auto config settings although this is the documentation for
3.2.3:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/mod_jk-howto.html#s8

"Note: Settings for mod_jk auto-configuration is new in Tomcat 3.3.  Older
versions of Tomcat create the auto-config file without a directive in
server.xml.  The new directive in Tomcat 3.3 allows for additional
configuration options as detailed later in this section.  For older versions
of Tomcat, refere to the documentation that came with that version.
"

uh ... yeah, i thought i was.

__________________________

these bits, left over from tomcat-apache.conf are not done anywhere when
following these directions:

AddType text/jsp .jsp
AddHandler jserv-servlet .jsp

but then i tried them and got text/jsp mime types back at my browser.

the answer:

I am running multiple virtual hosts, all with jsp.  I can just add:

JkMount /*.jsp ajp13

to my httpd.conf and...

yes!!!!!!  we're running! and it took only 5 hours for a very experienced
computer programmer.

========================
in summary:

in http.conf add:

Include TOMCAT_HOME/conf/jk/mod_jk.conf-auto
JkMount /*.jsp ajp13

change the workers.properties file so its reflects your operating system.
(see http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/apache-tomcat-unix.xml )
===================

if you wanted to individually decide which sites get jsp, you can add them
inside of the VirtualHosts directives (rather than globally as i have done
here)  as per the docs.

still have to redirect jasper to complain to a log file, not standard out.

from: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.2-doc/mod_jk-howto.html#s8
" Documentation is also available on the Apache Jakarta web site for Tomcat
at http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/index.html. "

... 404

also, i was trying to figure out how to test my migrating websites before
the dns changes.

in server.xml i have the hosts as they will be (with names), and also again
as they are now:

eg:
  <Host name="209.41.200.16" >
           <Context path="/~giant"
                    docBase="/home/giant/public_html" />
        </Host>

so i can use my http://single_ip/~giant/
to test each site.

apache occasionally forces me back to the old site (via canonical
relocation).

the images are mostly missing, but i'm a programmer not a graphic artist
damnit.