tomcat-users mailing list archives

From felix <fe...@crucial-systems.com>
Subject installation is a nightmare/ mod_jserv vs. mod_jk
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:23:16 GMT

I know everybody is trying, but installing tomcat 3.2.3 with apache is a
horrible experience.  wrong information everywhere. the most painful and
convoluted installation i have ever seen.

this is the most useful guide i have yet found:
http://www.galatea.com/flashguides/apache-tomcat-unix.xml

problems:

the linux binary distribution comes with workers.properties configured for
NT

mod_jserv.so is not on my machine.  i am led to beleive that mod_jk replaces
it entirely.  not true ?  i guess i'm just going to put it on, but it
suggests that something is not right in the basic configuration.
mostly people seem to say that we should switch to mod_jk anyway, but i'm
not even sure they are equivalent.

tomcat-apache.conf is an auto-generated file.  i make changes to it, on
startup they are over-written.  it specifies mod_jserv.so

tomcat.conf does not appear to affect it
i cannot figure out from where it is getting its information.