tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Randy Layman <randy.lay...@aswethink.com>
Subject RE: Does jakarta-tomcat-service work for *nixes?
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:54:07 GMT

No it doesn't work for Linux.  And no, there is no way for Tomcat to run as
a non-root user on port 80 - because Tomcat is written in Java and Java
doesn't provide the setUID/setGID system calls there is no way to capture
port 80 as root and then change the user to something else (which is how the
other major servers do it - C/C++ provides access to the system call).  By
the way there are lots of security reasons to not do this.

	Randy