tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: integrate Tomcat/IIS
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:21:41 GMT
The default in Tomcat 3.3 is to *not* try to take over the
"root" context from an external web server, such as IIS.
Thus, http://localhost/servlet/SnoopServlet getting a 404
is the expected default behavior.  If you want to have
this URL work, you can set the noRoot attribute of the
IISConfig element in server.xml to "false".  Following this
change, re-run "jkconf" and restart IIS.

However, here is a little more info about what you are
getting into, which should give you a clue as why its
disable by default.

1) With IISConfig's default forwardAll="true", setting
   noRoot="false" means all "root" requests go to
   Tomcat.  This includes requests for *all* resources
   in virtual directories defined in IIS, not just
   InetPub\wwwroot.

2) To avoid #1 above, you can define forwardAll="false"
   in addition to noRoot="false".  Now servlets and
   JSPs will be handled by Tomcat and static content
   handled by IIS.  (Note: This setting gives you
   behavior closest to what Tomcat 3.2.x implements.)
   The problem is that IIS thinks static content
   should come from InetPub\wwwroot, Tomcat thinks
   it should come from webapps\ROOT.  You will need
   to merge InetPub\wwwroot and webapps\ROOT in an
   appropriate way to get it to work correctly.  It is
   necessary to configure IIS to duplicate any web.xml
   settings not handled by the generated
   uriworkermap.properties file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,