tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Strange problem on Tomcat 3.3
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:04:12 GMT
Jars go in WEB-INF/lib and classes in WEB-INF/classes (under
the appropriate package name).

There are appropriate ways to add jars outside of WEB-INF/lib
to allow wider access.  For Tomcat 4.0, see:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html>

For Tomcat 3.3, see:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-3.3-doc/tomcat-ug.html#configuring_classes>

Adding a jar to the "common" classloader is most likely a better
choice than adding it to the CLASSPATH.  One reason might be that
when placed in the "common" classload, your jar could see the
"servlet" classes in servlet.jar.  It could not see them, or any
other classes in the "common" classloader, from the CLASSPATH.

Cheers,
Larry