tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Isaacs <Larry.Isa...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Shutting down apache tomcat server
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:04:51 GMT
The conf/ajp12.id file is written when Tomcat starts
up.  It stores at least the port number of the
Ajp12Interceptor used to invoke the shutdown.  It can
also store a password and other info to help make
shutting down more secure.  When executing
"tomcat.sh stop" or "shutdown.sh", Tomcat will try to
read this file to determine the port and other info
so it can send the shutdown request.

There is a known problem in that tomcat.sh deletes
this file prior to starting.  If you inadvertently
start Tomcat twice, the second one deletes the file
but doesn't get far enough to write a new ajp12.id.
As a result, "shutdown.sh" won't find the file when
you try to shut down the first instance.

You can try creating a default one manually and enter
"8007" (without the quotes) on the first line, followed
by two blank lines.  Then try shutting down again.

Cheers,
Larry