tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bongiorno, Christian" <Bongiorno.Christ...@ensco.com>
Subject RE: How to bring back pop-up with BASIC authentication
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:11:23 GMT
I return null for failed authentication. My test environment is in the
/examples webapp and is set to BASIC. It is also basic on our test box. I
will try configuring the MemoryRealm and look. If it is as straight-forward
as it seems return null vs. non-null then I don't see how I could fail
authentication the first time every time. Correct username and pass -- pass.
Bad username of pass -- immediate failure.

Maybe what would help me is if I knew how it is possible to actually fail
authentication on the first try. If I understand correctly then I should not
be able to do this.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 4:48 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: How to bring back pop-up with BASIC authentication

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Bongiorno, Christian wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:52:43 -0500
> From: "Bongiorno, Christian" <Bongiorno.Christian@ensco.com>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: How to bring back pop-up with BASIC authentication
>
> Still no luck looking through the logs. I turned authentication to 99 and
> get all sorts of info, but nothing that would suggest what is going on.
>
> Simply returning null from authenticate() should work?

Yep.  That's what all the standard Realm implementations do.

For further experimentation, I would suggest changing the standard
"/examples" webapp that comes with Tomcat to use BASIC authentication, but
leave it configured with the standard MemoryRealm (with debugging turned
up).  That way, you'll be able to see what the expected behavior is.

Craig