tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Aprameya Paduthonse <>
Subject ClassCastException on PortableRemoteObject.narrow() call
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:41:29 GMT
Hi There!

I am encountering ClassCastException on attempting a
PortableRemoteObject.narrow() call from one of my utility class used by my

I am essentially looking up a EJB deployed in Weblogic Server.

I have tried placing weblogic.jar(which has the factory class -
weblogic.jndi.WLInitialContextFactory) and the utility.jar in each of the
following directories, but with no success:
* CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
* CATALINA_HOME/server/lib (though not recommended)
* WEB-INF/lib
* explicitly through catalina.bat's CLASSPATH
(For more info:

I had the same problem in version 3.2.3 when I placed my jars in
WEB-INF/lib; BUT, things were working when I moved these to TOMCAT_HOME/lib.

Could someone share similar experiences in Tomcat 4.0?

One could reproduce the problem with these 3 steps:
1. jsp/servlet/javabean calls a utility.jar for JNDI lookup, say
2. utility.jar uses weblogic.jar or any other jar for lookup through
3. jsp/servlet/javabean does a PortableRemoteObject.narrow() on the Object
returned by lookup()

Thanks in advance.

To unsubscribe:   <>
For additional commands: <>