tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nikola Milutinovic <Nikola.Milutino...@ev.co.yu>
Subject Re: STARTUP.SH DOESN'T WORKS FINE
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:07:11 GMT
Tom Drake wrote:

> This has nothing to do with tomcat. It is standard unix behavior.
> When a user logs out, all processes created by that user are killed.

No, when a user logs out all processes that are children to that shell instance
are sent a HUP signal (Hang UP). A process may choose to ignore that signal.
Every well written daemon and server process SHOULD do that (among other things).

> Unix provides simple way to around this feature.
> Simply type the following command:
>
>     nohup tomcat.sh run &

I use "tomcat.sh start" instead of "tomcat.sh run" and so should Nancy. The
problem is in Tomcat getting HUP signal, but in loosing a console, I think.

> In this case all 'console output produced by tomcat will
> appear in a file called 'nohup.out'.
>
> The name nohup comes from the days of flaky dialup connections
> and is short for 'no hang-up'. It is used to
> prevent a spurious loss of connection (or hang-up) from stopping
> a process.

Or for instance, I connect to my company, locate a file for download, place it
in script, run the script with nohup and disconnect. The download will go on.

Nix.