tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chris Gokey <cgo...@gcmd.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Error ajp13_process_callback - write failed
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2001 20:47:40 GMT
This time Tomcat crashed, I received some errors...  Is it possible to
receive this kind of error in mod_jk.log if Tomcat can't open up any
more files?

 >>> [Mon Nov 05 06:41:41 2001]  [jk_ajp13_worker.c (381)]: Error
 >>> ajp13_process_callback - write failed
 >>> [Mon Nov 05 06:41:58 2001]  [jk_ajp13_worker.c (381)]: Error
 >>> ajp13_process_callback - write failed
 >>> [Mon Nov 05 07:19:23 2001]  [jk_ajp13_worker.c (381)]: Error
 >>> ajp13_process_callback - write failed

Tomcat would just hang and not serve any more requests.  I couldn't
connect to it directly either via port 8080.

Looking through the logs, this time I noticed I'm getting "too many
files open" error in my application, so I carefully went through and
found some instances where files where being opened but not closed.  How
does Java work, if you exit a method will it automatically close the
file, or does it wait for the garbage collector to do this?  I found
some instances where some servlets didn't explicitly close the
java.io.Writer from the HttpServletResponse class.

I suppose maybe my application is eating up all the available file
pointers in memory and tomcat just hung trying to open a file?  Is this
a plausible theory?

Chris