tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christoph Schönfeld <...@alcedis.de>
Subject Re: Automatic generation of user webapps (http://localhost/~user/webapp)
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2001 08:27:20 GMT
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On -1 xxx -1, [646] Christoph Sch?nfeld wrote:
in the very first moment of reading your reply I thought this was to
inform me about your -1 votes against this feature. lucky me it wasn't. :-)

thanks, and please forgive my ignorance not looking carefully enough
through the docs where I could have found everything myself.

Christoph

>>From: "[646] Christoph Sch?nfeld" <csc@alcedis.de>
>>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>Subject: Automatic generation of user webapps
>>    (http://localhost/~user/webapp)
>>
>>In Chapter 9.1 the Java Servlet Specification 2.3 says:
>>
>>"A servlet container can establish rules for automatic generation of
>>web applications. For example a ~user/ mapping could be used to map to
>>a web application based at /home/user/public_html/."
>>
>>Does Tomcat 4 support this? I know, the specification explicitly says
>>"can," but this feature would be really useful! All servlet developers
>>could just put their web applications into $HOME/webapps and Tomcat
>>would automatically create them a context on startup.
>>
>>The WebAppDeploy directive does not seem to support this. Can it be
>>achieved somehow else?
>>

> Docs for doing this in Tomcat 4 (stand alone) are available at:
>
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html
>
> Scroll down to "User Web Applications" at the bottom.  To do this through
> Apache, you'd need to convince Apache to do some things for you -- I don't
> know how that would be done.
>

>>thanks,
>>Christoph
>>

> Craig
>

> --

Christoph Schönfeld   !  // The worst possible legal hashCode
csc@alcedis.de        !  public int hashCode() { return 42; }
http://www.freeco.de  !    -- _Effective Java_