tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Vinas" <dvi...@mail.com>
Subject Deploying applet in a web app
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:44:33 GMT
I have a web application which contains an applet which communicates with a servlet, and I
am having trouble figuring out how to deploy it.  My servlet shares some utility classes with
my applet.  As per the Servlet API, the servlet should be deployed in the following location:

<context>/WEB-INF/classes/servlet

and the utility package:

<context>/WEB-INF/classes/util

But, although the spec mentions "Client side Java applets" (SRV.9.3), it is completely vague
about where to put them.  I can only assume they mean that the applets should reside somewhere
like:

<context>/MyApplet.html
<context>/classes/*.class

Which creates a problem for the applet to access the utility classes, which are in a non-public
folder.  I don't want to have to create copies of these classes, so I want them to be accessible
by both the servlet and applet.

I suppose there might be some way to create a mapping to WEB-INF/classes, but this would seem
to violate the spirit of the API.  On the other hand, I don't think I should put the applet
under WEB-INF/classes for the same reason.  The only other way I can think is to put them
in WEB-INF/lib, but I don't know how to give the applet access.

Can anyone tell me the proper way to do this?  Is this something which has been overlooked
in the spec?

-David
dvinas@mail.com

PS: Please cc: the above email. Thanks!