tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Precompile JSP
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:23:45 GMT

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, pero wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:26:07 +0100
> From: pero <pero@antaramusic.de>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Precompile JSP
>
> > (sigh) and I thought it was such a good idea...
>
> me too :)
>
> > Could we have a startup servlet that would wait for a JSP servlet
> > to start-up and then call all the pre-compilations? Or just wait
> > for a while? (That sucks as an idea, I know)
> >
> > We definitely need a regular "hook" for this.
>
> Servlet-Api 2.3 (TC 4) uses the concept of LifeCycleListeners - that could
> have been the deal! But it isn't. :-( The contextInitialized-method is
> called before the servlets are loaded (including jsp) and so this approach
> doesn't work either...
> Could any developer point me (us) to a solution on how to hook a precompiler
> into the application (dont want to use jspc)? I doubt that there is a
> portable way of doing so, since servlet-on-startup and LifeCycleListener do
> not work. But nevertheless I would love to implement that feature.
> And some dirty workaround (starting a thread in servlet.init() that waits 10
> sec or so) would be too evil. At least for me (-:

Precompilation is a feature of a particular container -- it's not anything
mandated by the JSP spec.  Tomcat's current implementation of that is
"jspc" -- if you don't like jspc for some reason, you'll need to suggest
(or, better, contribute :-) an implementation that does what you want.
But nothing else exists in Tomcat at the moment.

> help appriciated
>
> pero

Craig