tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: upgrade b6 to 4.0.1
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:24:32 GMT

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Brian K. Buckley wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:46:32 -0500
> From: Brian K. Buckley <bbuckley@surfglobal.net>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: upgrade b6 to 4.0.1
>
> Hello, I have a webapp with custom taglibs that was running fine with
> Tomcat4 b6.
>
> I installed Tomcat 4.0.1 and copied over my application to a subdirectory
> under webapps but when I attempt to run it my JSPs now won't compile, giving
> me lots of taglib-related error messages such as 'Undefined variable or
> class name: BodyTag, Tag, etc.
>
> I've got servlet.jar (the servlet API 2.3 75K one) in my common/lib and I
> also tried adding it to my webapp lib but the problem remains.
>
> When I look at the servlet java file that Tomcat creates from the JSP, it
> appears there is a missing import line, such as "import
> javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.*" causing the compiler to not recognize BodyTag
> and Tag from the javax.servlet.jsp.tagext package.

The JSP spec requires that the default import list contain only:
  javax.servlet.*
  javax.servlet.http.*
  javax.servlet.jsp.*

Note that there was a recent change to Tomcat 4 (subsequent to b6) that
fixed this -- the import list used to be wrong.

> Does anyone know what's wrong?

The most likely scenario is that you are somehow trying to use the
generated source files (for your JSP pages) from the "b6" release in the
4.0.1 release.  This won't work.  To get rid of them, shut down Tomcat and
delete the entire contents of the "work" directory.  Then, when you
restart, the sources will get regenerated under the 4.0.1 compiler.

> -Brian

Craig