tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: basic auth does not work? ( 4.0.1 final and 4.0 latest nightly )
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:46:03 GMT

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Taavi Tiirik wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:11:07 +0200
> From: Taavi Tiirik <taavi@ibs.ee>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Cc: Craig R. McClanahan <craigmcc@apache.org>
> Subject: basic auth does not work? ( 4.0.1 final and 4.0 latest nightly )
>
> I cannot get basic authentication to work with 4.0.1 release
> and latest nightly build.
>
> All I did in examples/WEB-INF/web.xml was:
> 1. added
> <login-config>
>   <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
>   <realm-name>Private</realm-name>
> </login-config>
> 2. commented out form based login configuration.
>
> Tomcat gives 'HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error'
> when I try to access examples/jsp/security/protected/
>
> Is this how it should be or is there a fix for this?
>
> Craig, anybody, is this a current behaviour or am I doing
> something wong? If it does not work at the moment
> can you estimate when...? :-)

It works fine for me (and many others), which means that there is
something wrong with your configuration files.  I just checked again
(simply change the word FORM to BASIC in the existing <auth-method> is
easiest.

But the first thing to do is to post the stack trace that came with the
"Internal Server Error" page (or from one of the log files in the "logs"
directory -- without that, there is no way to diagnose what is going on.

> best regards,
> Taavi

Craig