tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat Capacity
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2001 01:20:15 GMT
There is absolutely no way to answer this question accurately.  It depends
on ALL of the following factors (plus some more that I probably haven't
thought of):

* How much memory you have

* How much of that memory you allocate to Tomcat

* How much CPU power (and how many CPUs) you have

* Which JVM you are running

* Which OS you are running

* What application you are running, and what it does

* How many requests per second your users generate

One useful source of information is benchmarks on thread handling and
message throughput for a variety of OS/JVM combinations -- the results
vary *dramatically*.  Volano (makers of Volano Chat, which is an app quite
sensitive to this kind of thing) regularly runs a series of tests, and
reports the results at <http://www.volano.com/benchmarks.html>.

Servlet containers have similar (but by no means identical) resource
requirements to a chat server, but performance tends to be dominated by
your application, not by the container.  For example, if your app requires
a database query that takes ten seconds every time, it's not going to
matter how many users the servlet container can support -- people will
quickly get frustrated and abandon your app.

Craig