tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help Requested
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 06:43:24 GMT

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Rakesh N wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:18:03 +0530 (India Standard Time)
> From: Rakesh N <rakesh.narayan@majoris.com>
> To: gdaswani@esri.com, tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org,
>      tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Help Requested
>
> Hi,
>
> I am using Tomcat 4.0.and this is on an NT4.0 machine.
> My problem goes like this,
>
> If no users are connected are accessing the site then the TomCat shuts
> down automatically. This happens many times and I tried with Tomcat
> 3.1 too. Still the things remain the same. I tried to put this one as
> a windows service and enabled the 'restart' option in the service. But
> this also does'nt seem to work out fine.

This sounds like it might be a very well-known bug in JDK 1.3 on Windows,
where any Java app started by an NT user would be terminated when the user
logged off.  My understanding is that this was fixed in 1.3.1, but I don't
use NT so I cannot verify it.

Craig McClanahan

> My Qs goes like this,
>
> 1) does a similar case of situation ever reported.
> 2) is this a bug with Tomcat.
> 3) if this is a bug is there a patch available and where.
> 4) or is this some thing to do with NT and if so what can be done.
> 5) or is this a bug with JDK 1.3 as some one in the group commented.
>
> The NT machine runs an apache also as the web server. This runs fine.
>
> We are a s/w development cmpy and we have already made a up a site on Tomcat - Apache.
Now the client is complaining about this 'bug'. So the thing as such is very hot.