tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is the need to run Apache and Tomcat together?
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2001 16:42:03 GMT

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 17:32:06 +0100
> From: Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: What is the need to run Apache and Tomcat together?
>
> "Nivy, Ofer" wrote:
>
> > In my application there is no need for static pages. All the content is
> > generated dynamically.
> > Do you think that in this context, there is any advantage of using the
> > combination of tomcat+apache?
>
> If all your pages are dynamic, then using Tomcat is probably the way to
> go.

Unless you happen to need some other functionality that is embedded in
Apache -- but most webapps don't.

> Keep in mind though - a graphic file is typically a "static page", so if
> your app has no graphics in it, or if you app references graphics on a
> different webserver, then Tomcat on it's own should be fine, otherwise
> Tomcat+Apache will be faster if there are graphics.

This is not necessarily true.

In use cases like this (mostly dynamic with a few images), the user's
browser ends up caching the images anyway.  Thus, even if Apache can serve
the initial copy of the image faster (and that is getting debatable on
some OS/JVM combinations), it is not relevant to overall application
performance because it happens only once for a given user.

The only way to find out for sure which way is faster for *your*
application is to try it both ways.  But, if standalone is "fast enough",
I'd still go devote my time to enhancing the application instead of
figuring out all the configuration parameters to connect to Apache.

> Regards,
> Graham

Craig McClanahan