tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automatic generation of user webapps (http://localhost/~user/webapp)
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2001 19:35:40 GMT

On -1 xxx -1, [646] Christoph Sch?nfeld wrote:

> From: "[646] Christoph Sch?nfeld" <csc@alcedis.de>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Automatic generation of user webapps
>     (http://localhost/~user/webapp)
>
> In Chapter 9.1 the Java Servlet Specification 2.3 says:
>
> "A servlet container can establish rules for automatic generation of
> web applications. For example a ~user/ mapping could be used to map to
> a web application based at /home/user/public_html/."
>
> Does Tomcat 4 support this? I know, the specification explicitly says
> "can," but this feature would be really useful! All servlet developers
> could just put their web applications into $HOME/webapps and Tomcat
> would automatically create them a context on startup.
>
> The WebAppDeploy directive does not seem to support this. Can it be
> achieved somehow else?

Docs for doing this in Tomcat 4 (stand alone) are available at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html

Scroll down to "User Web Applications" at the bottom.  To do this through
Apache, you'd need to convince Apache to do some things for you -- I don't
know how that would be done.

> thanks,
> Christoph

Craig