tomcat-users mailing list archives

From tom...@nettwrek.com
Subject RE: mod_webapp/Tomcat4 ready for production level stuff?
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:11:26 GMT
Here's my company's dilemna, which I'm sure is very similar to Mr. Smith's.
Our production app is starting relatively small - 1 client with about 5,000
dedicated users - but may grow into 500,000 within months.  I needed to find a
CHEAP solution that is robust and reliable enough to handle the load until we
can financially justify spending the money for a weblogic license or two.  I
was hoping and expecting TC4 to fill the slot.  So far, I'm grossly
disappointed and have backed down to either TC3.3 or Resin.

Every point brought up by Mr. Smith should be looked at closely by the
Jakarta/Tomcat development group.  How can TC4 be released as "Production" with
such poor and incomplete documentation??!!  Tomcat doesn't consist of just the
binaries, it's the whole package.  Don't be a Microsoft and push something out
the door before it's ready, it's only going to hurt the project.  I feel I've
wasted valuable time trying to get TC-4.0.1 working consistantly with Apache-
1.3.22.  I was a huge fan of JServ and even TC3.2, but the latest Tomcat
release has left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  What's the point of this
project if Tomcat's only good for Development use?

I love you guys, but I'm frustrated and disappointed with this release.

-Ken