tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Frank <wolfg...@inovex.de>
Subject specific Deploymentplan for TOMCAT4 ? J2EE way
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:01:38 GMT
Hello,

I am trying to use TC4 as a jsp/web-container and jboss, and Silvertream and
Orionserver as EJB Containers. All run on different VMs in different locations.
I am struggeling to find a way to connect TC4 with an EJB-Container.
I developed EJBs and Web-apps on Silverstream. (used silverstreams jsp-engine)
There you could define an <ejb-ref> in the web.xml and then map the references
with a serverspecific deploymentplan (deployWAR.xml) to the corresponding EJB-
JNDI-Names. In my web-application i could use the defined name for the lookups
and didnĀ“t have to care where the EJBs reside.

I thought that is the idea of the J2EE, (JNDI) spec ? Have a way to easily
distribute the application with just teaking the deploymentPLAN and not to make
changes in the application.

I am not sure if i missunderstood something, but i just can't find
a place where i could do the mapping in Tomcat?
Do the <ejb-refs> in the web.xml have any purpose for TOMCAT?
When and how can i map these entries to a EJB, using the JNDI name?
I can get a standalone java-application to work and make a lookup to JBOSS,  if
i put the jndi.properties file in the classpath, so the application can find
the Namingservice and get the context.
But if i transfer the code into a servlet running on CATALINA, it does not work.
I always get NamingExceptions saying the references are not bound to the
context. (maybe the jndi.properties are not used? i put it in the WEB-INF/lib)

Hmmm .... i hope you understand what my problem ist and can help me to find a
solution.

Thanks
Wolfgang

--