tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John M. Corro" <john.co...@cornerstone.net>
Subject Tomcat 4.0.1 install issues
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:27:01 GMT
Newbie question....

Attempting to install Tomcat 4.0.1 on a W2K workstation box and am running
into some issues that some others may have run into.  I currently have
v3.2.3 on my box and am looking to migrate to v4.0.1.  I followed the deploy
steps for Windows:
1. Unzipped to <tomcat4.0.1> directory
2. Set an environment variable pointing to a jdk1.3 install called
'JAVA_HOME'
3. Opened command line prompt to <tomcat4.0.1>\bin and executed startup.bat
(did not set env. variable for CATALINA_HOME or CATALINA_BASE, but according
to the catalina.bat documentation that is optional)
4. Opened http:localhost:8080

I was able to view the opening HTML index page, but when I attempted going
to some example JSP pages (ie I clicked on the "JSP Examples" link on the
left) to confirm it was working I got the following exception:

type: Status report
message: /jsp/

Strangely, this was  404 error too.  I was sure not to modify the classpath.
Did some digging around and was hard pressed to find archived posts w/
similar problems.  Thought I'd ask the experts.