tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Eric Miller" <>
Subject Does -d64 option for JDK 1.4.0b3 speed up Tomcat at all on Solaris?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:54:57 GMT
I just installed the latest JDK 1.4 beta and noticed that there is now
64-bit support for Solaris. I noticed that there is a -d64 option in the
java command. Does anyone know if this will speed up the performance of
Tomcat at all, or what advantages it offers in that type of environment if

# java -showversion
java version "1.4.0-beta3"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0-beta3-b84)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0-beta3-b84, mixed mode)

Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
           (to execute a class)
   or  java -jar [-options] jarfile [args...]
           (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
                  use a 32-bit data model if available
                  use a 64-bit data model if available
    -client       to select the "client" VM
    -server       to select the "server" VM
    -hotspot      is a synonym for the "client" VM  [deprecated]
                  The default VM is client.

    -cp -classpath <directories and zip/jar files separated by :>
                  set search path for application classes and resources
                  set a system property
                  enable verbose output
    -version      print product version and exit
    -showversion  print product version and continue
    -? -help      print this help message
    -X            print help on non-standard options
                  enable assertions
                  disable assertions
    -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                  enable system assertions