tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bo Xu" ...@cybershop.ca>
Subject Re: [repost] loading class files
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:43:18 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Yiu Wing" <yiuwingyip@yahoo.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 1:58 AM
Subject: Re: [repost] loading class files

> > I suggest you put YourApplet.class together with your
> > html/image or other "static contents), for ex. :
> > webapps/yourapp0/staticContent/
> > ("staticContent" is a folder made by you)
>
> Thanks very much for your reply and reference email. Yeah, I have to
create
> an extra directory to store all my class files, and I also have to
unzipped
> the JDBC driver in order to get my jsp applet running. But from one of the
> Tomcat's docs, which is tomcat-docs\appdev\deployment.html, in its mid
page
> says,
>
> /WEB-INF/lib/ - This directory contains JAR files that contain Java class
> files (and associated resources) required for your application, such as
> third party class libraries or JDBC drivers.
>
> I've copied my JDBC driver there, but it just won't work.  My citation is
> just the opposite of your reference email, which says that JAR files are
> static content and can't be place under /WEB-INF.  Since my applet is
> running now, and so think the docs could be wrong or haven't covered this
> topic completely. I hope someone could look this up.
>
> Anyway, thanks very much for your email again.  You have saved me!
>[...]

Thanks for your thanking!  :-)

BTW, there are two kinds of class/jar in a webapp:
  - for Servlet/jsp(it works in server-side)
  - for Applet or other static content(it will be downloaded to
    client together with Applet class, and works in client-side)

I think the reference email means:
   - class/jar for Servlet/jsp itself should be put under WEB-INF
   - class/jar for static content should Not be put under WEB-INF

I think your JDBC driver is used by your JSP directly, it works in
server-side, (it is not downloaded together with  your Applat and
work in client-side), so now, as you say, your JDBC driver should
be put in WEB-INF/lib.

Bo
Nov19, 2001